Gather these materials: *if possible get everyone in your family a journal, or notebook paper, pencils, crayons, and colored pencils
Reading and Writing Connection: Setting up the first page of the journal, follow the image below. Every reading and writing connection uses the front and back of each page and is dated. These family learning discussions are each person’s valued thoughts. These pages should be considered as a “learning” scrapbook.
Getting to Know You: Ask everyone to write about the following (6-10 minutes) first page of their Family Learning journals (if you are using notebook paper… these should be gathered and kept until journals can be purchased… then they can be trimmed to fit and glued/taped into the individual notebooks). *Remind them to leave enough space for their sketching.
- Hello, my name is__________.
- I am in the ________ grade.
- My favorite book is __________.
- My favorite place to be is _____________.
- I want to know more about __________ (nonfiction topic: animals, sports, crafts, etc)
- *As soon as they have written their answers, they can begin sketching one of their favorite answers. *Please help the younger family members by writing their answers for them.