“The benefits of reading stories to our children at nighttime have been shared countless times over, and for good reason. Reading improves literacy skills. Why is it that we don’t do math with our children before bed?” Jonathan Orr
- B4 Bed Thoughts: *Let everyone see the image. Discuss: “What do you notice?
- Next: Ask: “What do you not know?”
- Next: Discuss what patterns are in each of the circles?
- Show us…put your reasoning to the test: (pass out paper and pencils or have them use the back of their learning journals for math thoughts). Remind them to date their page. Provide the following statement: How would you solve this math equation? Let them have 5-6 minutes to write out their problem and solution (refocus their attention to their paper/journal). *Encourage the younger family members to draw what they think the answer might be.
- Finally: Ask each member to share what they believe an equation and solution might be. Review what an active listener looks like.
*Permission was given for use of photo during 2020 Make Math Moments Summit by Jon Orr and Kyle Pearce