“The benefits of reading stories to our children at nighttime have been shared countless times over, and for good reason. Reading improves literacy skills. Why is it that we don’t do math with our children before bed?” Jonathan Orr
- B4 Bed Thoughts: *Let everyone see the image. Discuss: “What do you notice?
- Next: Ask: “What do you not know?”
- Next: Ask: “What patterns do you see in this 3 digit subtraction sentence?“
- Before discussing the pattern: Show us…put your reasoning to the test: (pass out paper and pencils or have them use the back of their learning journals for math thoughts).*Remind them to use a new page, add today’s date, and a title for the learning image. *Encourage the younger family members to draw what they think the answer might be.
- Finally: Ask each member to share what they believe an equation and solution might be. Review what an active listener looks like.