One Night a Week… One Family… One Read Aloud… Priceless!
- Today’s reading investigation: Historical truth about the First Thanksgiving. Primary resources are the most valuable re-counting for any investigation. The above Wallbuilders link will provide access to a quick family history account of our Nation’s first Thanksgiving.
- Family Sharing: “Who were the Pilgrims?” *Invite everyone to share. Discuss: “Why do we celebrate Thanksgiving as a nation?”; “When did the United States declare Thanksgiving as a national holiday?” *Before having a guided enquiry, take some time before gathering to check out the primary resource link for documented facts.
- Materials: family learning journals/paper, pencils, colored pencils, and/or crayons
- Remind them to open their journals to the next available page and date it. Don’t forget to have them label the top of the page with today’s learning topic/skill.
- Guided enquiry: “Today’s discovery is about Thanksgiving, our country’s National Holiday. Draft a paragraph about what we’ve discovered.”
- Next: Allow everyone 10-15 minutes to put their thoughts on paper.
- Skill Discussion: “Let’s share what you’ve penned!” Encourage everyone to share… including your youngest. Spend a few moments sharing how you made choices when you were their age.
- Discussion Wrap-Up: *If you’re interested in more information on historic American Thanksgiving across the centuries, WallBuilders has a collection of Thanksgiving proclamations from various state governors & presidents as well as a collection of historical sermons on the Pilgrims and Thanksgiving celebrations.