One Night a Week… One Family… One Read Aloud… Priceless!
- Today’s reading investigation: Critter Snacks Investigations (Topic is placed on the top of the page=first line).
- Materials: family learning journals/paper, pencils, colored pencils, and/or crayons
- Remind them to open their journals to the next available page and date it. Don’t forget to have them label the top of the page with today’s learning topic/skill.
- Guided enquiry: Ask: “Looking at the slide above, what are 2-3 things you already know about feeding outside critters during the winter?” *Invite them to write their answers under the “K” column.
- Next: Invite someone to be the reader (rotate the reader with each new section of information). If you can’t read the slide: follow this link for your reading and K-W-L chart.
- During reading: Check to see if there is: Something they would like to know more about (W column) and 1-2 facts they didn’t know but want to remember (L column).
- Next: Allow everyone 10-15 minutes to put their thoughts on paper.
- Skill Discussion: “Let’s share what you’ve penned!” Encourage everyone to share… including your youngest.
- Discussion Wrap-Up: “Let’s investigate another learning site: link”