One Night a Week… One Family… One Read Aloud… Priceless!
- Family Sharing: “Which of your outdoor explorations look promising for this weeks summertime journaling?” *Invite everyone to share.
- Materials: family learning journals/paper, pencils, colored pencils, and/or crayons
- Remind them to open their journals to the next available page and date it. Don’t forget to have them label the top of the page with today’s learning topic/skill.
- Guided enquiry: “Summertime is the perfect season to enjoy adventures. Outdoor grilling and evening fire pits are memories we can enjoy. Story-telling creates those moments of silly giggles or “hold-your-breath” frights. For this week, let’s choose a summertime adventure to get our summertime journaling started!”
- Next: Allow everyone 10-15 minutes to put their thoughts on paper. “What do they think an outdoor adventure might make a great journaling entry?”; “What might be the silliest part of the adventure that they should include?”; “What might be the scariest part of the adventure that they should include?“
- Skill Discussion: “Let’s share what you’ve penned!” Encourage everyone to share… including your youngest. Spend a few moments sharing how you made choices when you were their age.