When it comes to helping children learn to read, experts say the role of audiobooks is twofold: to help children with the process of identifying words by modeling fluent reading and expanding their vocabulary, as well as helping motivate new or struggling readers by giving them a taste of how fun reading can be.
- Making the family connection: Discuss: “Which title should we pick for our Tuesday “Fluency” practice?”
- Today’s literary connection: Once their journal page is created, ask them to list the title of the fluency book they’ve chosen.
- Guided enquiry: Ask: “What would be your prediction about the book’s storyline?”; “Who might be in the story?”; “What settings might the main character encounter?”
- Next: Using the link under the slide, login to EPIC. Type in the title of the book chosen and enjoy.
- Finally: Once the reading investigation is over, remind them to rate their predictions between 1-5 (1-not on topic; 2-close; 3-somewhat; 4-good prediction; 5-Spot On!).