One Night a Week… One Family… One Read Aloud… Priceless!
- Making the family connection: Discuss: “Which American folk tales do you know?” *Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Unsinkable Molly Brown, Coyote and the Columbia, Brer Rabbit, Raven, Lincoln Death Train, Old Stormalong, Mike Fink, Three Billy Goats Gruff, Attack of the Mammoth, John Henry, etc.
- Materials: family learning journals/paper, pencils, colored pencils, and/or crayons. Remind them to open their journals to the next available page and date it. Don’t forget to have them label the top of the page with today’s learning topic/skill.
- Today’s literary connection: subject. Guided enquiry: Using the links below, read and discuss the tales your family could choose for this week’s family story time.
- Next: Explore American folk tales at this link. American Folklore as printable PDF’s are available at Fairytalez: link
- Invite someone to create a page of folk tales your family can enjoy for story time this week. Remind them to list the name of the tale, the map location for the tale (state/country), and a brief statement (paragraph: who, what, where, main theme).