One Night a Week… One Family… One Read Aloud… Priceless!
- Making the family connection: Discuss: the slide above.
- Materials: family learning journals/paper, pencils, colored pencils, and/or crayons. Remind them to open their journals to the next available page and date it. Don’t forget to have them label the top of the page with today’s learning topic/skill.
- Today’s literary connection: Comparing 2 Tall Tales. Guided enquiry: Ask them to open their journals and re-create the Pecos Bill and Paul Bunyan Venn diagram.
- Next: Follow this storytime link for Paul Bunyan and this storytime link for Pecos Bill, then listen/watch the Tall tale videos. Remind them to fill in the Venn diagram as they are listening for the tale’s details.
- Finally, invite them to sketch their favorite scenes from each of the tall tales.